It has been a couple of overcast, dreary, days here and it is sprinkling outside as I write this. But I would like to show a house that I shot recently for one of my realtor clients. This is an early 19th century (about 1808) stone barn that has been converted into an incredible house. It has four bedrooms on 3 different levels in the main portion of the house. The master bedroom has it’s own fireplace and a separate loft area that could be an office or work-out room. In the lower level, which has it’s own private entrance and I guess could be considered an in-law apartment or something like that, there is another 2 bedrooms and a completely separate kitchen. It was very nicely decorated and just had a wonderful feel to it. In an interesting design twist the you basically entered at the mid-level of house. The only thing on this level was the master suite. There was an opening in the wall to give you a wonderful view of the great room. On the opposite side there were the stairs that lead to the other levels where the other bedrooms were. In the middle were the stairs that lead to what I called the living level. This level consisted of the kitchen, dining room, family room, great room and the utility room for the washer and dryer. An odd layout but it really worked. All of the stone was from the original construction and they maintained a lot of the original rough cut beams through out. Very cool. It was, however, extremely challenging to shoot. It had some very dramatic lighting but in general was a little on the dark side in the middle with a lot of bright Sunshine streaming through the windows in the back of the house. Lot’s of dynamic range. I measured in some of the rooms as much as 8 stops difference front to back. It forced me to break out the big flash as my Speedlights weren’t cutting it. Especially in the great room. This room was one of the few places that I’ve had to use more than 1 flash to fill. The room was so large and the light fall off so great at the far end I ended up using a 200 watt second strobe (wishing I had a little bit more too) and a Speedlight. I used the strobe with a shoot thru umbrella up high to fill the far end and the Speedlight with a Gary Fong Lightsphere down low to take care of the close stuff. All in all I think these are going to make great additions to my portfolio.